As the climate change conversation continues globally, one thing is clear: more people than ever before are interested in living more sustainable and environmentally conscious lives. One way to eliminate your carbon footprint is by investing in hybrid or alternative fuel transportation.
While there are several paths to take, from giving up your vehicle and using public transportation to biking everywhere you go, the convenience of your own transport is one of the top reasons people don’t necessarily choose this option. This is why switching to a CNG vehicle is a happy medium for many, since CNG is not just environmentally friendlier, but it’s a lot cheaper than traditional fuel and safer as well.
To give you a better idea, here’s how CNG stands apart:
What is CNG Anyway?
Compressed Natural Gas (CNG), is natural gas under pressure which remains clear, odourless, and non-corrosive. It is also a cheaper, greener, and more efficient alternative to the traditional petrol and diesel fuels for vehicles.
Now, on to the benefits part. Here’s how CNG stands apart from petrol and diesel:
CNG is More Efficient
- Mostly methane gas which, like gasoline, produces engine power when mixed with air and fed into your engine’s combustion chamber.
- When CNG reaches the combustion chamber, it mixes with air, is ignited by a spark and the and the energy from the explosion moves the vehicle.
- CNG is compressed so that enough fuel can be stored in your vehicle to extend driving range, much like the gasoline tank in vehicle.
- Although vehicles can use natural gas as either a liquid or a gas, most vehicles use the gaseous form compressed to 3,000 psi.
CNG is More Economical
What greater incentive is there than monetary savings? While, money alone does not make you happy, it does make life a whole lot easier. Compared to super and diesel gasoline, CNG is 80% cheaper; which means you’ll be saving more than three quarters of your usual fuel budget. In the long run, the extra money in your account means you can allocate the extra on things you only wished you could do. Like treating your family, or yourself, with a special gift you’ve had your eye on for a while.
- CNG means more money, but less problems.
- CNG means minimum maintenance costs.
- CNG means a better environment in the long run.
CNG is Greener
Other than money, the ultimate benefit of owning a CNG vehicle is to our environment. Since CNG burns cleaner and leaves no harmful elements behind, this alone could be one of the reasons someone would choose to upgrade to a new CNG vehicle. You’d still have the convenience of your own transport, but with peace of mind knowing you’re doing your part for the environment. Here are more benefits to consider:
- CNG reduces maintenance costs since it contains no additives and burns cleanly leaving no by-products of combustion to contaminate your spark plugs and engine oil.
- The combustion chamber parts function at peak output for longer periods before requiring service. The engine oil also remains clean which minimizes engine wear and requires less frequent changes.
- CNG is way more environment friendly and CNG engines are much quieter due to the higher octane rating of CNG over gasoline.
- CNG produce less exhaust emissions as a result, and harmful emissions such as carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2 and nitrous oxide (N2O) are generally reduced by as much as 95% when compared to gasoline powered vehicles.
We can all do our part to save our planet in some way. Switching to CNG vehicle is easier than you think (link to switching info page) and in the long run, it might be the best purchase you’d have made.